You are so motivated and you know this is your time to achieve that goal or start that project. You feel from deep down your heart that you are ready to start. You have identified your goals clearly and still understood the complications involved. You realize you do not have much experience and still you are working with less finances. You are smart enough though to realize you need a mentor, the reality is sometimes mentors are not readily available and often hard to find the right ones.
The hope lies in the fact that you can be able to speak yourself to success especially being able to achieve your set goals. You do not want to do away with mentors who are very valuable from the advice and guidance they offer but he/she isn’t an expert in most things.
There are a couple of models one can follow while writing down your plans some of which include the GROW model, the Wheel of Life and GOAL conversation model. They help you know where to start making the journey an easy one.
You will realize that, crafting goals that are clear is mostly about asking ourselves questions so that you can gain clarity thus being able to pick the next step of action, therefore if you can ask yourself the right questions you will set yourself up for massive and purposeful action that will move you closer to achieving your goal.
I will exemplify for you GOAL Conversation model in a way that if you are able to answer the stated questions you are guaranteed to make significant steps.
A goal conversation is a structured framework that ensures you achieve or maximize positive change in all areas of your life.
Goal conversation model is an acronym for; Goal, Options, Action steps and finally Likelihood of taking action.
The first thing while coaching yourself is to know which goal you want to work on;
- What would you want to focus on today or this week?
- Where do I want to be in 5 or 10years?
- How important is this goal?
- Are you ready to take action?
- Is it worth your effort?
- What difference would this make to you?
On establishing a SMART and positive goal it is important to look at the possible solutions you have to assist you in achieving the goal and you may ask yourself the following, list down all possible option available to you;
- What have I tried before?
- What worked? What didn’t work?
- What could I try now? What else?
At this point select the best option available to you which you know you can comfortably pursue and that has a guarantee of succeeding.
- Which action will you take?
- What am I wasting my time with?
- What are the cost and benefits of each option?
- Which is the best option to try now?
- What steps will you take and when?
But test everything; hold fast what is good.
On picking the possible action steps, it is important also to check the possibility or the likelihood of you taking the first step or taking action
- How likely are you to take the first step?
- What could trip you up?
- What am I putting up with?
- What could you do to overcome that?
- Do you need to make your steps smaller?
- What support do you need to take the steps
More people are discovering the value of writing down their plans, making them clear and are learning the benefits of walking with someone in such a journey. Such a person helps you identify and prioritize your goals. In essence such a person should help you;
- Turn problems in to solutions,
- Turn blame into responsibilities,
- Turn obstacles into opportunities and
- Turn inaction into action.
I believe this will helps you and motivate you to take action toward your goals by asking yourself the right questions.
Write down your plan and go for that life you so much desire!